Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Villain, A Lover and a Statue

Sounds like the introduction to a bad joke, but I am talking about Don Giovanni – the story of Don Juan.

220px-Don_Juan_and_the_statue_of_the_Commander_mg_0119 the scary statue
I recently went to a performance of Tulsa Opera’s production of Don Giovanni.  Lets say I am now a fan of Opera. I have been wanting to go just to experience Opera for many years, probably since I saw Pretty Woman way back when.
juliaroberts
  Don Giovanni is a timeless story, of love, betrayal. lust. murder and paying for your sins. Don Juan does a lot of running around  chasing after one woman after another.  In the process he kills a man and his faithful servant switches places with him. Meanwhile others plot to avenge the death and murder Don Juan, even though he is a good friend of theirs. In the end a statue is his dimise.   Gee sounds like an episode of Desperate Housewives or Jersey Shore. Mozart and Moliere considered the story a comedy, but it comes with a moral.  The Villain gets it in the end
don-giovanni-event
I recently attended a performance of Tulsa Opera’s production of Don Giovanni with my best girl (shh! don’t tell her sister).
We enjoyed dressing up. 
Check out her shoes. (before) and IMG_2971IMG_2982after.
Being a multilingual person, I really enjoyed reading the subtitles along with the music and finding out that I really do know more Italian than I thought I did. Opera you not only have a new fan in me, you have a new fan in my 12 year old daughter. (She announced that she will be taking her boyfriend to the opera. – but first she has to get one.)
There are still performances left, so don’t miss out. If you have never been don’t worry, subtitles run along top the stage and dress is not overly formal or stuffy. You can dress up as much as you want to or simply wear your nice clothes. You may even see cowboy boots there, just make sure you wear your nice ones and not your barn boots. (that is for all my rancher friends.)

More Information
When: .Saturday February  25  at 7pm
              Sunday February 27 at  2:30 p.m.
Where: Chapman Music Hall, Tulsa PAC, 101 E. Third St.
Tickets: $22-$98

http://www.tulsaopera.com/season.php?season=dgiovanni

No comments:

Post a Comment